Two Pan-Hellenic fraternities barred from recruiting this year

Hazing at other chapters cited as cause

Two UNC fraternities were forced to stop recruiting new members after a year scarred by hazing allegations at other chapters within their national organizations.

The national organizations ­— Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. — have ordered all chapters to stop new member recruitment following hazing scandals that resulted in the death of a student and serious injuries to another in Texas and Georgia, respectively.

“Up until recently, national has been pretty tight-lipped,” said Justin Clayton, president of the 11-member Mu Zeta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha at UNC.

“At this point, all we know is that it is suspended until further notice.”

UNC’s nine-member Xi Gamma chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity has also been required to end new member induction indefinitely. Its president Lorenzo Hopper said it can be difficult to ensure the pledging processes are safe and disciplined at the same time.

“It’s a thin line for a lot of people,” he said. “They get confused along the line — in their efforts of making sure the members of the fraternity really are dedicated.”

Both Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma are members of the “Divine Nine,” historically black fraternity and sorority organizations.

Most Greek organizations begin the process of adding new members at the beginning of the fall and the spring semesters.

These processes, which were once conducted “underground,” or without set guidelines, are now overseen by university officials and the chapters’ national organizations.

Jenny Levering, UNC assistant dean of students for fraternity and sorority life, said the National Pan-Hellenic Council, which governs the Divine Nine, more frequently institutes such nationwide pledging freezes than similar organizations that govern all fraternities and sororities at UNC.

“Because of the history of their organizations and how they used to have an underground pledging process, it’s been hard for them to adapt to new processes,” she said.

Clayton said many chapters fail to realize that times have changed.

“It’s very difficult to take what’s been done by tradition and apply that to current rules,” Clayton said.

“What was done to enter my chapter 20 years ago legally is now very illegal.”

Despite this history and indiscretions nationwide, the UNC chapters of Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma have clean hazing records as of recently, Levering said.

“Hazing reputations can vary campuswide, regionwide, and nationwide,” Clayton said. “You can drive three hours south and a fraternity’s reputation is completely opposite from another.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.