UNC taps new Greek consultant

Whichard will recommend improvements to system

Jordan Whichard
Jordan Whichard

A new administrative review of the Greek system will be overseen by Jordan Whichard, a UNC alumnus and fraternity member.

In his new role as special adviser on Greek affairs, Whichard will examine UNC administration’s interaction with fraternities and sororities, as well as develop a report for the Board of Trustees. The position is not paid.

His recommendations will detail how to create “the best Greek system in the country,” according to a letter from Chairman of the UNC Board of Trustees Bob Winston, who recruited Whichard for the position at the end of last semester.

Whichard will gather information from UNC’s Greek system as well as others around the country to develop what the fraternities and sororities at UNC should look like and the way the administration can best interact with and support them.

The recommendations could have important repercussions for UNC’s Office of Student Affairs, as well as some aspects of Greek self-governance.

“We’re going to review all of it,” Winston said. “That’s the only way we get a comprehensive assessment of where we are, so whatever we do it all fits together.”

The review will not overlap with the current duties of Winston Crisp, assistant vice chancellor for student affairs, and Jenny Levering, assistant dean of students for fraternity and sorority life.

“Ultimately the administration and staff will decide if there are structural changes,” Whichard said, adding that he will only gather information, not implement policy.

UNC officials promised a re-evaluation of Greek life at UNC in the wake of junior Courtland Smith’s death on Aug. 23. Smith, then president of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, was killed by a police officer after driving drunk near Greensboro.

He claimed to have a gun and said he was trying to kill himself in a 911 call while driving on I-85. Beforehand, Smith was at a party at his fraternity house until about 12:30 a.m., his friends have said.

Delta Kappa Epsilon was found guilty of alcohol violations after an investigation of the party. It was penalized by the Greek Judicial Board, a peer group that oversees the Interfraternity Council fraternities, with two semesters of social probation.

“I think that the events of last semester started a lot of people sharing their ideas,” Chancellor Holden Thorp said. “I realized there are so many different constituencies and different ideas being shared that we had to have some organized way to collect all that.”

Thorp also acknowledged the administration’s need to find a better way to respond to problems.

Whichard graduated from UNC in 1979, and was the president of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity while he was in school.

He is chairman-elect of the UNC General Alumni Association. His two children attended UNC and were members of the Greek community.