Chapel Hill Police Department will gather feedback

The Chapel Hill Police Department will hold its first ever series of conversations to receive feedback from the community about its performance.

“It’s not about us identifying the issues, it’s about us listening,” said Chris Blue, assistant police chief for administration. “This is part of our transition to be a more community-oriented policing agency.”

Blue said the police department is always asked to give insight on town issues, and the department is depending on the community to do the same.

“It is a shared belief that any opportunity to hear from the community is a valuable one,” Blue said.

Chapel Hill police officers won’t be in attendance so the public can speak honestly. Facilitators will be in place to start the conversation, not to lead it.

Blue said everyone from the community is encouraged to attend the sessions, especially students.

Four sessions will be held throughout February. The first is at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Chapel Hill Public Library at 100 Library Drive off Estes Drive.

The UNC School of Government and the Town of Chapel Hill justice in action committee are helping police with the feedback sessions.

Those interested in attending one of the sessions should RSVP at outreach@townofchapelhill.org. Comments also can be e-mailed.

What They’re Saying

Ryan Hill, manager at The Clothing Warehouse:

“I think they are on the ball. When you call them, they are here.

“They could be more on patrol about the homeless people and cleaning up the streets.”

Trent Reisberger, manager of Coldstone Creamery:

“They do a really good job. I thought the back alley would be sketchy because we park our cars there. I haven’t had any incidents in the past six years, knock on wood.

“The sessions are a good idea because you are going to find out what the public wants.”

Bekah Cooper, UNC sophomore, undecided major:

“I feel they can be inconsistent with underage drinking. Sometimes they will let you off with a warning, and sometimes they make you pay a fine. They need to decide if they are going to be strict or not.

“You are going to get a lot of people who agree or disagree. It’s hard to be productive when you have people with strong ideas.”

Shana Smith, sophomore, double major in journalism and communication studies:

“They were doing too much last Halloween. It was too many restrictions with only allowing UNC students. Some of my friends from other schools decided not to come.

“One thing they are doing well is finding out what the community wants and what they want cops to stay out of.”

Adrienne Parker, UNC junior, exercise and sports science major:

“The sessions are a good idea because any feedback, good or bad, will strengthen an organization.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide