Chapel Hill Town Council considers ban on cell phones

Council to wait on state report

Concerns about how a possible cell phone ban on town roads would be enforced dominated Monday night’s public forum on the issue.

If put into motion, the ban would prohibit residents from using cell phones while driving in Chapel Hill town limits. The Town Council decided to study the issue and wait for guidance from the N.C. General Assembly.

Council members discussed whether the law would apply only to town streets or include state-maintained roads as well.

Town attorney Ralph Karpinos told council members two ordinances could be enacted­­ — one for town streets and another for all roads.

“We might not have authority over state streets,” he said. “Our argument in support of the ban is somewhat lessened for the state highways.”

If the state ordinance were to be challenged, the town rule might still be enforced, Karpinos said.

Six states prohibit handheld cellphone use. Hands-free devices are not included in any of the bans.

But Arthur Goodwin, a researcher with the UNC Highway Safety Research Center, said both types of phones cause distraction.

“There is no safety difference between a handheld phone and one that is hands-free,” he said.

In a poll conducted last week by The (Raleigh) News & Observer and ABC 11 Eyewitness News, participants reviewed laws on cell phone use while driving.

Forty percent of those polled said that while handheld phones should be prohibited, hands-free devices should be allowed.

Forty-seven percent stood in favor of banning all cell phone use.

Chapel Hill resident and former Council member Joe Capowski said he supported possible town efforts to minimize distracted driving.

“Nissan plans to put an Internet screen to the left of the speedometer on the dashboard because apparently the younger generation is demanding it,” Capowski said. “They say that voice control will render distraction harmless.

“Give me a break. Distracted driving is a national issue whose battle is just beginning.”

The N.C. General Assembly will review a report on the causes and risks of driver distraction April 15 and could also recommend statewide legislation on the issue.

Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt said after receiving the state report, the council will return with a proposal for future action as a main agenda item.

In the meantime, Penny Rich, who called for the public hearing, encouraged her fellow council members to find out how the states that have enacted the ban have enforced it.

Mayor Pro Tem Jim Ward said he was also interested in pursuing the issue.

“I want to see us not just tread water until we get the report from the state,” he said.