Fraternities to get brighter lights

When the area around Fraternity Court is brighter at night, students can thank Buddy Amis.

Since Amis, a junior and a member of Pi Lambda Phi fraternity, pushed for an increase in the area’s lighting, Chapel Hill town officials are moving forward with the idea.

Mike Rempson, who works for the town traffic department, said the wattage of two street light bulbs will be increased from 250 watts to 400 watts.

The lights are located at the intersections where Cameron Avenue meets Columbia and Pittsboro streets.

The lights are owned by Duke Energy, not the University. Rempson said the new bulbs are planned to be installed in the coming weeks, but recent weather could delay Duke Energy’s schedule.

Amis decided to tell town officials about the lighting situation after hearing complaints from friends that attended fraternity parties and lived in Granville Towers and off Cameron Avenue.

Amis and Rempson walked the area by Fraternity Court and Little Fraternity Court to decide where lighting could be improved.

“The fact that it was near fraternity houses which are often sites of human traffic just made it a bit closer to home,” Amis said.

Amis said Pi Lambda Phi has been concerned about how the lighting not only affects guests, friends and students but also residents of fraternity houses.

In a single weekend last fall, Sigma Nu, Delta Kappa Epsilon and Kappa Sigma lost about $13,960 in valuables from theft. Amis said future theft could be prevented with better lighting.

Amis also asked for more light poles in the area, but Rempson said the process for this request could be lengthy. He said new light poles must meet historic district criteria.

The Historic District Commission oversees physical changes in areas identified as historic to preserve their character. The commission usually acts independently of the Chapel Hill Town Council.

Amis said although he wants the historic feel of Chapel Hill to be preserved, adding new lights wouldn’t take away from the history.

“My parents went to this school and I would love to be able to share the same history with my children, friends and family,” he said.

Senior Hakeem Rizk said lighting should be improved campuswide, and more lights wouldn’t take away from the historic feel when safety is an issue.

“History won’t save you,” he said.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide