Groups talk about segregation at UNC

Self-segregation a campus issue

As students filtered into Greenlaw Hall for a discussion about segregation, they unknowingly demonstrated one of the issues that was addressed: self-segregation.

Anne Hastings, a sociology professor, opened the discussion Thursday evening by asking students to look at where they were seated. For the most part, students sat near those who were of the same race.

The event, “Tarheel Segregation: Separate but Equal,” was an open discussion held to make a conscious effort to bring to light self-segregation on campus.

The event was hosted by the Alpha Iota Chapter of La Unidad Latina, the Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, the Black Faculty and Staff Caucus, the Carolina Latino Collaborative and the American Indian Center.

Steven Quintero, president of Lambda Upsilon Lambda, said he thinks the campus is diverse and that there is intermingling, but there needs to be more.

“Black people hang out in certain areas; white people hang out in certain areas. The Asians and Latinos also have their areas,” Quintero said. “People are drawn to people that look like themselves.”

Hastings mentioned that many people avoid racism and do not talk about it, but she said it is prevalent in media, songs and the classroom.

John Ribo, a teacher and graduate student at the University, said that while students are willing to work with each other in the classroom, self-segregation often occurs after class is finished.

Ronald Rojas, a member of Lambda Upsilon Lambda from New York, said he felt culture shock when he came to North Carolina.

“I don’t feel welcome,” he said. “I’ve gotten looks worth more than a million words. It’s all in the look.”

Many students said the college atmosphere contributes in part to racial self-segregation.

“Segregation just happens when you are in a new place,” Quintero said.

Freshman Jonathon Beckles said he feels the University is failing at talking about race and integration.

“The University is very spirited,” he said. “If people don’t feel comfortable stepping out of their comfort zones, the University has to create programs.”

While some said programs are needed because intermingling is not naturally going to happen, others were still waiting for it to become part of daily life.

Rojas said he was pleased with the discussion, as were the students who attended.

“Discussions raised were good, productive,” he said.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide