H1N1 vaccine clinics will come to you now

New approaches in the works

As H1N1 vaccination clinic attendance declines, county health officials will now visit any group of people requesting vaccinations.

In addition to operating its clinics, the Orange County Health Department is using the offer to expand their community outreach efforts.

Vaccination sites recently have been offered outside normal clinics at the Hargraves Community Center and Weaver Street Market, said Angela Cooke, dental health services division director for the health department.

Bring a clinic to you
It’s free and there are no attendance requirements to set up a vaccination at a church, business or community group.
Call Angela Cooke, (919) 245-2436

She said although anyone can call and set up a time for vaccinations, large groups of people are preferred. There is no numerical requirement.

“It needs to be beneficial,” Cooke said.

She said local businesses can call and set up clinics for their employees to avoid work time lost due to individual vaccinations and potential illness.

UNC health officials said the number of students going to campus clinics has also dropped.

“Its been pitiful,” said Mary Beth Koza, the environment, health and safety director at UNC. She said if attendance continues to decrease, the clinics set up at various places on campus will shut down and students will have to go to Campus Health Services for vaccines.

Koza said next week she will decide if clinics like the one being offered today at Rams Head Dining Hall will be continued in March.

“They’ve been successful,” Koza said. “But the student population failed to recognize the importance of being vaccinated.

“A lot of people think it won’t happen to them.”

The department wouldn’t be able to offer low-traffic vaccination clinics five days a week and make the new offer without federal funds released by President Barack Obama last fall, said Wayne Sherman, personal health services division director for the health department.

“We’re fortunate that we have federal funds,” Sherman said. “The extra resources have allowed us to provide more for the community.”

The health department has used the extra money to hire temporary employees who help with appointments and the walk-in clinic, Sherman said.

The Chapel Hill walk-in clinic offers vaccinations on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays, while the Hillsborough location holds hours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Campus and county coordinators said they are prepared for a possible third wave of the H1N1 virus with enough vaccinations for the community.

Jennifer Surowitz, the pharmacy manager at Walgreens on Franklin Street, said people still come in every day to get vaccinated.

“It’s better to be prepared,” Surowitz said.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide