Hear ye, hear ye: With little time left in office, Jones right to pursue town hall meetings for student feedback

The town hall meetings being conducted by Student Body President Jasmin Jones are a good final effort by the administration to collect student input to pass on to the next president.

Jones has little time left in office. But this effort is not about what she will be able to accomplish before she leaves.

It is about providing the next student body president with the knowledge needed to address student concerns on day one of his or her term.

“The next SBP will come in with their set of established goals and ideas, but it is important for them to know the concerns of the student body right now at the time of their election,” said Student Body Vice President David Bevevino.

The student body president candidates have already solicited a lot of student ideas. Candidates tend to incorporate student input in crafting platforms, and they hear from students regularly at campaign forums.

But this town hall process nevertheless has unique advantages that stand to help Jones’ replacement.

First, it gives Jones a final initiative to pursue during her lame duck tenure. Jones’ greatest strength is her personality, which she can use to really csonnect with students.

Second, the town halls will give student government the most recent sentiments of the student body — an “updated snapshot,” in Bevevino’s words.

Jones hosted the first of eight planned forums on Monday in the lounge of Mangum Residence Hall, in the Olde Campus Upper Quad community. She will host seven more in the coming weeks.

Jones said about 20 students came to the first town hall. But more should come to her future meetings.

This is a valuable way to connect with student government and influence the priorities of the new administration.

As the end of the Jones administration approaches, students should take every opportunity to ensure that the next administration starts off on the right foot.