Orange County integrates boards

Advocates for the Orange County Human Rights and Relations got caught by surprise by county commissioners Tuesday night.

The board voted 5-2 to integrate the office into the Housing and Community Development Department at Monday’s meeting.

Now, the Human Rights and Relations Department worries that after the merge, their interests won’t get heard as loudly.

Functions of the Human Relations and Rights Department include enforcing the county’s Civil Rights Ordinance and operating the Limited English Proficiency Program.

With the county facing a $5.7 million budget shortfall, County Manager Frank Clifton proposed the integration in hopes of saving money. The responsibilities of the two departments overlap, he said.

“We are trying to be accountable for the history of what this county has done but be respected in the fact that you don’t have endless money,” Clifton said.

Members of the Commission for Women, a subset of Human Rights Relations, said they did not expect the integration decision to come Tuesday. Some said they didn’t know it was up for a vote at the meeting.

Jennifer Fry, immediate past chairwoman for the Commission for Women, said the decision was made without input from volunteers.

“I would never consider altering a huge program run by volunteers without talking to them first,” she said.

Clifton said he understands that the integration is a surprise for some. He said time was a factor in the lack of discussion to properly inform everyone about the integration.

The Housing and Community Development works to provide adequate and affordable housing without discrimination.

Housing and Community Development Director Tara Fikes said although the county budget is a factor in the integration, the department has not been forced to cut staff.

Shannon Jackson, chairwoman for the Commission for Women, said she does not want to see the commission get swept under the rug.

“I’m afraid that it’s going to be disbanded,” she said. “It has been serving Orange County for 33 years. That’s as old as I am.”