Playing for a cause: Please attend production in Kenneth Strong’s memory

The production of “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten,” dedicated to Kenneth P. Strong, is a great way to honor and remember the life of one of UNC’s most dedicated and passionate professors.

Strong, a professor in the department of dramatic arts and a member of PlayMakers Repertory Company, was originally directing the play until he passed away on the first day of its rehearsal in early January after a long battle with cancer.

All of the play’s proceeds and donations will benefit the fund for brain tumor research at the Neuro-Oncology Program at UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.

The production is a great way to honor Strong’s legacy by carrying on his dedication and love for the theater and raising money for a cause that touched his life.

Directed by senior Sarah Peck, the play’s former producer, “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten” is based on the book by Robert Fulgham. The production, co-sponsored by the Carolina Cancer Focus student group, portrays the innocence of being a kindergartner and explores what adults can learn from children’s lack of inhibitions and carefree attitudes.

According to Peck, the play was chosen for its message of living with unrestrained love and hope.

“Producing a show in which all proceeds benefit brain tumor research seemed like a perfect way to not only raise cancer research awareness, but to do it in an uplifting and enjoyable way,” Peck said.

The play will be running Thursday through Tuesday and will begin at 7 p.m. each night, except for Sunday when it will start at 1 p.m. The production will be performed in room 103 of the Center for Dramatic Arts. Admission is free.

All proceeds from the benefit production will be donated to Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, specifically brain tumor research. For information about ticket reservations or donating, call (847) 204-6156 or e-mail Peck at snpeck@gmail.com.

We encourage everyone to attend this event in honor of Strong and to raise awareness about a disease that affects the lives of millions of Americans every year.