Six vie to be next student body president

It hasn’t been a typical election season.

With giant castle-shaped plywood signs and calls for narwhals and a Google revolution, the last month has been characterized by a set of polarizing and unusual characters.

But it will end today like any other election season — with a vote.

How to vote:

WHO: All registered students with a PID and Onyen can vote.

WHEN: Today, between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.

WHERE: Online or at voting booths set up in the Pit and at Rams Head Plaza by the Board of Elections.

Watch the results:

WHEN: 11 p.m. tonight

WHERE: See it in person in Carroll 111 or watch it broadcasted live on TV on TimeWarner Channel 24 or campus cable channel 2 or 25.

Fees on the ballot:

Students will vote whether to increase these fees for the 2010-11 school year.

Student Organizations Fee
Increase: $6 / Potential new fee: $45
Description: Mainly to account for inflation since the last fee increases.

Student Legal Services Fee
Increase: 85 cents / Potential new fee: $13.85
Description: Would help cover the increase in accounting and auditing costs of services.

Safety and Security Fee
Increase: 7 cents / Potential new fee: $2.27

And because of the oddities of this year’s campaign season, the election seems to be anybody’s game.

While the outcome seems unpredictable, the stakes are high. Next year’s president could help decide how the school addresses everything from Greek relations and budget matters to grading policy and a new academic vision for the school.

The student body president will represent students in a variety of ways once he or she takes office in April, serving on numerous board and committees — including the Board of Trustees — and will oversee an organization of dozens of committees and projects.

He or she will also be given a number of perks, including a parking pass for anywhere on campus, basketball tickets, a stipend and a laptop for the year.

Today’s election, which will see six candidates contend for the top job, will likely result in a runoff, as the new student body president must gather 50 percent of the vote to take office.

With six candidates and no obvious frontrunner, it is unlikely that one candidate will garner a majority.

The runoff would be held a week from today, giving the two highest vote-getters another week to campaign before the students vote again.

Last year’s election saw the highest voter turnout in history, driven by six diverse candidates and a contentious fee referendum. This election sees many of the same characteristics, and officials say they are ready for the rush.

“Everything is all set to go — it’s been done for a week now,” said Pete Gillooly, chairman of the Board of Elections. “I feel pretty calm. The only thing is the weather. There will be a polling station in the Pit, so that could be a problem if it’s raining all day, but other than that we’re all set to go.”

Beginning at 7 a.m., students can log on to Student Central to cast their votes. Polls will close at 10 p.m, and the results are scheduled to be announced at about 11 p.m. in Carroll 111.