Student organizations ‘selebre’ Haitian culture

Event bene?ts Haiti relief efforts

Professor Laura Wagner speaks at “Selebre Haiti,” an event focused on the culture of Haiti. DTH/Lauren Vied

Recent media depictions of Haiti have focused on the destruction following the earthquake that struck the country in January.

But student groups are working to place emphasis on the nation’s culture rather than the devastation.

Campus organizations, including the Class of 2010, student government, the Black Student Movement and Campus Y, devoted three weeks of planning to prepare for “Selebre Haiti: A Cultural Experience.”

“We all support the efforts to rebuild Haiti after the devastation, but it is important not to forget the rich culture and history of this country before the earthquake,” said junior Alex Loizias, co-chairwoman of the extended disaster relief committee of Campus Y.

The event title includes the Creole world “selebre,” which means celebrate. Loizias said that although she had heard several students say they support efforts for disaster relief, a number of people have expressed a desire to learn more about Haitian culture.

About 20 people attended the event at the FedEx Global Education Center, which featured multimedia presentations, spoken word performances and testimonials from Haitians living in North Carolina.

“I attended a Haiti panel a few weeks ago, and it sparked my interest to understand more about the unique culture of Haiti aside from the typical American perspective,” said senior Amy Godwin, who attended Tuesday.

YouTube videos shown at the event depicted firsthand interviews about the lifestyle of individuals currently living in the city of Port-au-Prince, which was hit most drastically by the earthquake.

Haitians living in the Chapel Hill area added to the YouTube interviews by discussing their lifestyles following the devastation from the 7.0-magnitude earthquake that crumbled their native home.

Members of Ebony Readers/Onyx Theatre also participated by addressing a variety of topics in their spoken word performances, including the Haitian sense of struggle and loss as well as the American duty to contribute to relief efforts.

Senior Jonathan Brice and Carly Lundi, who currently lives in Wake Forest, were both born in Haiti and moved to America in hopes of leading a better life.

Lundi spoke about how difficult it is for him to imagine that he could have easily been buried in the rubble had the earthquake struck several years earlier.

Although the event was free to the public, sponsors still encouraged participants to make donations. Proceeds went to One Effort: Haiti, a UNC fundraising program which contributes to relief efforts.

“People in Haiti have a lot of pride in their culture and identity,” Lundi said. “Even after all of this devastation, they still have hope but continue to need your support.

“So, as I do, I would encourage everyone to keep Haiti in your hearts.”