UNC moves up in Peace Corps service

UNC has jumped from seventh to sixth in the nation in alumni currently serving in the Peace Corps compared to other schools with 15,000 or more undergraduates.

The Peace Corps allows volunteers to live in developing countries and work in fields including health, agriculture and technology.

Currently, 78 UNC alumni serve as Peace Corps volunteers. Since the Corps’ 1961 creation, 1,092 UNC alumni have served as volunteers.

Many Peace Corps administrators attribute the high number of volunteers to the values of a typical Carolina student, such as dedication to public service and making a difference in the global community.

“It’s the type of student that North Carolina attracts,” said Peace Corps public affairs specialist Stephen Chapman. “UNC stresses both service-learning and global education, and the Peace Corps is a good extension of that.”

Senior Nate Friedman, who has been accepted to the Peace Corps for next year, said medical opportunities on campus combined with his desire to travel abroad led him to apply.

“One of the most amazing things about Carolina is that it inspires its students go into service work,” he said.

While Friedman does not know to which region he has been assigned, the Peace Corps sends most volunteers to Africa, Latin America and Eastern Europe.

“Carolina’s global education and foreign language studies make these places good locations for many students,” said Chinyere Alu, UNC’s campus recruiter for the Peace Corps.

Alu added that interest in the program from students is very high and that the opportunity for the Peace Corps sells itself, particularly to students looking to engage in public service while exploring many different career and educational options.

“There are so many people that are globally focused and want to give back to their community that the Peace Corps is a great option for many Carolina students,” said Erin Marubashi, co-president of the Campus Y.

Aaron Williams, director of the Peace Corps, will give a speech at 6:30 p.m. tonight at the FedEx Global Education Center about the opportunities to grow personally and professionally within the Peace Corps.