Bruce Carney named provost

Bruce Carney
Bruce Carney

Interim provost Bruce Carney has been named to take the position permanently, pending trustee approval.

Carney was picked after a national search that brought three finalists to interview for the position on campus.

Carney is a surprise pick for provost, not having been one of the finalists. He indicated previously that he intended to be in the position only temporarily.

The provost is the No. 2 administrator on campus and the school's top academic officer.

In an e-mail announcing Carney's selection, Thorp said that "ultimately, there just wasn't a match" with the other three finalists.

A 17-member committee composed of faculty, administrators, a trustee and students headed the search, which cost $72,800 plus expenses.

The committee identified four finalists - Phillip Hanlon, Anthony Monaco, Jeffrey Vitter and Scott Zeger - to bring to campus for lectures and public Q&A. Hanlon removed his name from consideration before on-campus interviews took place.

The search committee makes a recommendation to the chancellor, who is responsible for hiring the provost. Thorp's hire must be approved by the Board of Trustees.

This is the third high-profile national search in the past few years that has resulted in an internal candidate being named to the position, the first being Thorp's selection as chancellor. College of Arts and Sciences Dean Karen Gil was picked from internally after a national search as well.

Before he was interim provost, Carney served as interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Previously, he was senior associate dean of the college, and before that, chairman of the physics and astronomy department.