Carrboro's gay-friendly legislation will likely pass

A proposal that would bolster Carrboro’s gay-friendly reputation will likely be passed this spring.

The town’s Board of Aldermen discussed a policy at its retreat Sunday that would make any private contractor working with Carrboro have non-discrimination policies for its employees.

Alderman Lydia Lavelle, who proposed the idea, said when the town hires outside contractors for building projects, she always reviews each company’s non-discrimination policies. Companies generally protect discrimination based on race and gender, but sexual orientation is often overlooked, she said.

Companies have been receptive to updating their policies if they do not cover gays and lesbians, she said.

Lavelle, who is gay, said the proposal is personal to her, even if it wasn’t sparked by any discrimination she has witnessed.

“Carrboro is a wonderful community,” Lavelle said. “There is no evidence of discrimination that I am aware of.”

She said Carrboro could serve as a model for other communities and encourages other communities to do the same.

The proposed policies would most likely be introduced at a meeting in the spring, she said.

Mayor Mark Chilton said the town has to abide by certain state laws regarding non-discrimination policies for contracting work, but those don’t include sexual orientation.

Lavelle said that while changes to federal laws help, it is also up to communities to make fairer laws for everyone. She said the best way to start is with grassroots campaigns.

“There is so much we can do at the local level,” she said.

Judith Blau, director of the Chapel Hill & Carrboro Human Rights Center, said Carrboro has always been a very gay-friendly place. She said these proposed policies would only elevate the community’s positions as such.

Chilton, Lavelle, and Blau said that the proposed policies probably would not face much opposition.

Blau said the Human Rights Center is planning to sponsor a communitywide “day of tolerance” in November. She said although it is politically correct for people to appear to be accepting of gays and lesbians, some people are still apprehensive.

“It’s a wonderful movement, and it illustrates the power of democratic forces.”