Health care bill headed to Obama’s desk

Click to expand
Click to expand

Correction (March 24 1:46 a.m.): The clarification for this story incorrectly states that President Barack Obama can sign the health insurance reform bill passed by the Senate on Sunday. The House of Representatives passed the bill on Sunday. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Clarification (March 23 1:03 a.m.): This story is unclear about the next steps for the health care bills. President Barack Obama can sign the bill passed by the Senate on Sunday, but the reconciliation bill still must be passed by the Senate before going to him.

The U.S. House of Representatives voted 219-212 Sunday night to pass what could be the final iteration of sweeping health overhaul legislation.

In a vote that received no Republican support, the House approved a bill passed in December by the U.S. Senate.

Thirty-four Democrats also voted against the bill.

Using a process known as reconciliation, the House also considered a separate bill that mediates differences between the Senate bill and a version approved by the House in November.

The reconciliation bill largely follows recommendations made by President Barack Obama earlier this month.

The bill passed 220-211.

A preliminary estimate last week by the Congressional Budget Office concluded that the bill would reduce the federal budget deficit by $138 billion in the next 10 years.

The Senate now must pass the reconciliation package before it can go to President Obama to be signed.