Honduras a popular destination for service groups

Sophomore Payton Kendsersky holds Geoffrey in Villa Soleada, Honduras. Courtesy of Sarah Acuff

Move over, Cancun — Honduras is the new tropical destination for students on spring break.

But they won’t be spending all their time soaking up the sun and slurping drinks with umbrellas.

Several University service groups are hosting trips to Honduras during the break to help medicate, nourish and clothe the people of this impoverished nation.

And Honduras needs their help — the country was devastated in 1998 by Hurricane Mitch and is considered the second-poorest country in Central America, after Haiti.

“Honduras has a long history of political instability,” said Nisel Desai, director of UNC’s Global Brigades. “The government lacks authority and concern for its citizens. There’s also a large young population, and there’s just not enough to go around.”

At least three delegations of UNC students will travel to Honduras during spring break this year, representing a growing trend toward global service and a desire among students to volunteer in conjunction with their studies.

About Honduras

-Honduras won its independence from Spain in 1821. An elected government came to power in 1982 after almost 25 years of military rule.
-Honduras is slightly larger in area than Tennessee.
-Honduras’s economy depends largely on exports, especially bananas and coffee.