Lewis Black’s brand of comedy impresses

Snow prevents other comics from traveling

Lewis Black was one of the few comedians who beat weather delays to perform for a packed house.  DTH/Daniel Sircar
Lewis Black was one of the few comedians who beat weather delays to perform for a packed house. DTH/Daniel Sircar

Correction (March 1 11:49 p.m.): Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this story failed to include UNC student Emily Satterfield, one of the winners of the student stand up competition. The story has been changed to reflect the correction.  The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

A New York City snowstorm prevented “The Daily Show” comedians John Oliver, Wyatt Cenac and Rory Albanese from attending the events of this week’s seventh annual Carolina Comedy Festival, but the show continued with help from some New York comedians and Lewis Black.

Festival sponsor Carolina Union Activities Board reacted quickly to the weather and what Sam Morgan, the chairman of CUAB’s comedy committee, called “a fun surprise.”

“Even though things didn’t go as planned, the shows still went great,” Morgan said.

People associated with “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” filled the void of the snowed-in comedians.

Recent UNC alumnus and festival attendee Craig Carter said that despite the absences the events were still a success.

“It was unfortunate, but it’s the weather. All things considered, the people from the Jimmy Fallon show did a great job,” he said. “They were still professionals with so much experience.”

Carolina Comedy Jam

Black, a UNC alumnus, returned to entertain the campus at Friday’s and Saturday’s Carolina Comedy Jam with thoughts on everything from marijuana legalization to aging.

“Someone asked me what I did yesterday, and I told him I had to take a nap to remember,” Black said.

In the absence of “The Daily Show” comedians, professional comedians Sara Schaefer and Black performed alongside the student stand-up competition winners Jay Morgan, Cody Hughes, Emily Satterfield and Matt Krantz.

The competition was held on Tuesday, and the finalists had a workshop with Black on Thursday.

“It’s disappointing not to have ‘The Daily Show’ people, but we got to perform twice, so that was good,” freshman Jay Morgan said.

Krantz was also happy to meet the experienced comics.

“Earlier this week I was worried about schoolwork,” he said. “Now I am meeting all of these prominent comedians from New York, and tomorrow it goes back to normal.”

Comedy in print

Black opened the festival’s Comedy in Print discussion with the admission that, “I don’t really know s--t about getting published.”

Despite his claims, Black still offered authoritative advice on comedy writing to about 15 people in the Student Union Auditorium on Saturday.

Black discussed the way that he has evolved as a writer, starting with plays and then getting book deals based on his comedy routines.

“If you think you’re a writer and you’re not writing, you’re not a writer,” Black said.

Black said that the hardest part about writing was sitting down in a chair and concentrating, which he compared to the challenges of writing papers for college.

Black advised would-be writers to be persistent and bold.

“If you don’t think that what you’re writing is important, go online and see what people think is important,” he said.

Black addressed the editing process, counseling hopeful writers to not be overly attached to their work. He said that he has pounds of rejected manuscripts sitting around his house.

Advice from professionals

“The Daily Show” panel Saturday was better represented by members of “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” than members of “The Daily Show.”

Cory Cavin and Schaefer of “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” and Josh Lay manned the panel with UNC alumnus Jonathon Benson of “The Daily Show.”

The panelists spoke on their diverse experiences in their comedy careers, including struggles with moving to New York City and finding jobs and the constant pressure of a current events-centric daily comedy show.

“I’ve been there for nine years, and just now feel like I’m figuring out what I’m doing,” said Schaefer, who blogs for “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” about her experience in New York.

Benson advised students to take classes on relevant subject matter, such as video communications and screen writing, while in college because they cost less.

All of the panel members advised students to consider applying for unpaid internships on shows that they think are funny to gain personal connections and job skills.

Final thoughts

Even though he was missing his fellow headliners, Black still had a stellar performance welcomed with applause.

“I keep doing the comedy show because I feel like it could really become something,” Black said. “I like being here, I like the community here, I’ve always liked this whole thing.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.