Music Review: Citay

Dream Get Together
Dream Get Together

When an album is touted as a guitar lover’s dream there are serious promises to keep. In their latest release, Citay digs through rock history to weave irony and references to classic rock into something to satisfy people yearning for the bygone days of guitar greats.

Dream Get Together is simply rife with borrowed riffs, but amazingly this doesn’t detract from the quality. Rather it builds your interest by teasing the ear. The brief “Return from Silence” seems like a throwaway track, but listeners will feel that the band it references is right on the tip of their tongue. It’s an intriguing mix that defies complete definition.

Their keyboards often evoke thoughts of the late but legendary Rick Wright, sometimes infusing a little Pink Floyd drama with echoing vocals and acoustic guitar. Then, at the drop of a hat, the guitars change to a crunchy electric for solos that you can ride all day.

Music Review

Citay
Dream get together
Dive verdict: 3.5 of 5 stars

Ezra Feinberg takes a back seat to his band, rarely bringing his voice to the forefront. This leaves an opening for tracks like “Secret Breakfast” to shine. It’s a limited rock jam session partially punctuated by flutes and horn that sets the tone for the rest of the album.

With only eight tracks, Dream Get Together is a short run, but maybe it’s a case of “quitting while you’re ahead.” It’s a well-crafted LP boasting an enjoyable continuity between songs that ends on a high note with a cover of Galaxie 500’s “Tugboat.”

Keeping its jams tight and its edge softer than some of the bands they reference, Citay won’t please everyone but should find a niche with open-minded classic rockers.