Old faithful, departing: New, vastly improved registration system launching Wednesday for fall 2010 course selection

Our condolences to the Student Central class registration system. Our old friend’s replacement launches Wednesday.

And it’s about time.

The new registration system will be operating under ConnectCarolina and through the MyUNC portal.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Contact the Information Technology Services Help Desk at 919-962-HELP.

For tutorials: http://unc.edu/fall2010/howtoregister

The new system has a completely revamped interface. It’ll look nicer and have features that should relieve many students’ registration frustrations.

Debra Beller, information communications specialist for ConnectCarolina, said the feature that the ConnectCarolina team is most excited about is the shopping cart students will get to use.

The shopping cart allows students to select classes and register an entire cart full at once.

This is a substantial improvement over selecting classes one at a time as students do under the current system.

Plus, students won’t have to log on ahead of time and get a PIN to register for classes. Students can instead register at their assigned time — provided, of course, that their accounts don’t have any stops.

These are all much needed changes to the registration system. The current Student Central system is just a step above calling the registrar or competing for classes on the gym floor.

Students registering for summer classes will still need to use Student Central, but anyone trying to get a class for the fall will use the new system.

New systems always come with a learning curve. And students should log on to this new system as soon as possible to get familiar with it.