Plan for universal pre-K in Orange County struck down

A plan that would provide pre-kindergarten classes to all 4-year-olds in Orange County was struck down last week because of significant cuts in the county’s budget.

And the way the county budget looks, there isn’t a good chance universal pre-K will be instituted next year, either.

“Last year we cut our budget by over $5 million, and we are possibly cutting more this year. We don’t have money for new programs,” said Orange County commissioner Bernadette Pelissier.

She said the Orange County Child Care Coalition did not provide significant evidence that universal pre-K is necessary.

“I don’t know if it’s essential,” Pelissier said. “We have programs in place now that are targeted toward high-risk children.”

But Paulette Bekolo, president of the Mary Scroggs Elementary School PTA, said she spent a lot of money on child care, and it came with a lot of sacrifice.

“I don’t think you can put a cost on child care,” she said.

With the plan, families would pay a reduced amount for care on a sliding scale based on income.

“There are people who can afford child care and those who are able to qualify for subsidies but that leaves a large group in between that can’t afford high-quality care,” said Kate Sanford, member of the Child Care Coalition.

The plan was outlined until 2013 and would have cost an additional $400,000 annually, for a total of $4.5 million.

Sanford said the pre-K programs would be located in existing child care centers in an attempt to use existing infrastructure.

The Child Care Coalition plans on reintroducing its proposal to the commissioners next year.

“It is important that everyone operates on the same playing field,” Sanford said.