SBP Medlin makes executive officer picks

Correction (March 25 12:26 a.m.): Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this story incorrectly stated Ian Lee’s past student government experience. He is co-chairman of the capital projects special project. This story has been changed to reflect the correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Hogan Medlin has picked his dream team.

The student body president-elect unveiled Tuesday his selections for the executive branch officers, the individuals who make up the top level of student government and will serve as his leadership team for the upcoming year.

“These are some of the most important decisions he will make for the entire year,” said current Student Body Vice President David Bevevino.

Medlin said he concentrated on creating a team that would be representative of the student body.

“When I’m forming the executive branch of student government, I need people that are not me because I’m not representative of everybody on this campus,” he said.

The executive branch officers include student body vice president, treasurer, secretary, chief of staff and senior adviser.

The responsibilities of three of the five positions are enumerated in the Student Code, but every executive branch officer works beyond his or her job descriptions, Bevevino said.

“They definitely go above and beyond what is written down. They have to, honestly, for student government,” he said.

Bevevino added that this quality makes it possible for the student body president to accomplish a large platform.

“If the only thing the secretary did was update the Student Code, the president wouldn’t get everything done,” he said.

The vice president, treasurer and secretary are subject to approval by two-thirds of Student Congress in an upcoming session.

VICE PRESIDENT

Holly Boardman
Year: Junior
Major: Biology and Spanish
Past experience: Co-chairwoman of the academic affairs committee, co-chairwoman of the student academic advising board
Quote: “I’m excited. Hogan and I are going to make a great team, and I’m looking forward to working with everyone.”

CHIEF OF STAFF

Monique Hardin
Year: Junior
Major: Public policy and economics
Past experience: Student body president candidate, student board member at the UNC leadership institute, executive assistant to the student body president
Quote: “I’ve talked to Hogan already about the book exchange. I definitely want to make sure we start those ideas. And Hogan is on board.”

SECRETARY

Ian Lee
Year: Sophomore
Major: Business and political science
Past experience: Writer for the Daily Tar Heel, co-chairman of co-chairman of the capital projects special project, vice president for 2012 class commission
Quote: “I’m going to try to redefine the way student government communicates with students. I’m going to try not only new avenues but work to engage them.”

TREASURER

Dakota Williams
Year: Sophomore
Major: Peace, war and defense and public policy
Past experience
: Speaker of Student Congress, chief financial officer for the Association of Student Governments
Quote: “I want to do a lot with tuition and fees. I’d like to work toward simplifying and streamlining with the administration.”

SENIOR ADVISER

Paul Shorkey
Year: Junior
Major: Business administration and psychology
Past experience: Executive assistant to the student body vice
president, co-chairman of the academic affairs committee
Quote: “I think I bring a passion for academic policy work on campus and a belief in the mission and values of student government.”