Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

SpringFest to focus on local artists, mix with football game

Hoping to improve turnout to both events, student organizers are holding this year’s SpringFest on the same day as the Blue and White football game.

But attendance might still be hurt by the fact that the event will not be centered on a major musical guest.

Lauren Sacks, assistant director for student learning and activities for the Carolina Union, said this year’s SpringFest will feature local musicians due to a multitude of factors including artist availability, time constraints and finances.

From noon until 3 p.m. April 10, SpringFest will serve as a street festival and tailgate for the exhibition football game, which will pit next year’s starting UNC offense against the starting defense in Kenan Stadium.

“We are hoping for thousands of students,” said Tom Kuell, vice president of Carolina Athletic Association. “It will be our first major look at how daggum good our team will be next year.”

Student organizers had hoped for a big-name act for SpringFest after some students were disappointed by the Homecoming act, rapper Fabolous.

Although the lack of a major musical guest could affect attendance, it means a much smaller price tag for the event.

The popular R&B group Boyz II Men performed in 2008. That year, SpringFest cost about $78,000.

Lee Nettles, the external affairs officer for the Residence Hall Association, said without a musical guest, this year’s event will cost about $10,000 and be funded primarily by the Carolina Union Activities Board.

Megan Maher, co-chairwoman of student government’s music festival special project, declined to comment on the hiring process for musicians and which acts are being considered.

With or without a performer, the day’s events will feature free food, face painting, prizes, a Bell Tower climb and the opportunity to get autographs from members of the football team.

Those in attendance can compete for the opportunity to challenge UNC linebacker Zach Brown for the title of “fastest man on campus.”

The final race against Brown will be broadcast by ESPN, which will also be televising the Blue and White game for the first time in school history.

A 58-inch HD television will be given away to the fraternity, sorority, student organization and dorm with the largest turnout at SpringFest by percentage.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide