Zombie attack advice comes to UNC

Author to share tips from book

It looks like the zombie attack is imminent.

Thankfully, the Carolina Union Activities Board and author Max Brooks have teamed up to raise awareness about the impending zombie crisis.

As part of CUAB’s weeklong Zombie Fest, Brooks will speak at 7 p.m. today in the Student Union Auditorium about how to survive a zombie attack.

HEAR BROOKS SPEAK

Time: 7 p.m. today
Location: Student Union Auditorium
Info: www.unc.edu/cuab/events.shtml

Brooks has written two bestselling books about zombies, “The Zombie Survival Guide” and “World War Z.”

He said he wants people to be prepared not if a zombie attack happens, but when.

“They scare me,” he wrote in an e-mail. “They need to be stopped. Enough said.”

Emily Carey, the chairwoman of CUAB’s music and media committee, said the enthusiasm for Zombie Fest already existed; all she had to do was organize the support.

Junior Lucas Espinosa, for example, had already organized a UNC chapter of the popular game Humans v. Zombies.

The game is a live-action competition that pits “human” players against “zombie” players. The game starts with one zombie, usually signified by a bandana, who tags human players, turning them into zombies. Humans can use Nerf guns or socks as weapons against the zombies.

Espinosa said there has been strong support for the game.

“Currently we have over 100 registered players,” he said. “Eventually, I would like to see the game hosted every semester, with an even bigger playing base.”

The most recent round began Monday in collaboration with CUAB, and is slated to end Friday.

Brooks said he agreed to speak at UNC not necessarily because he enjoys speaking for college audiences, but because he feels obligated to raise awareness.

“It’s not about enjoyment; it’s about doing my civic duty,” he said. “We all have a responsibility to our community and our country, and this is mine.”

Carey said CUAB’s reasons for bringing Brooks to UNC transcend zombie awareness, though.

“It’s good writing,” she said. “A lot of kids here are journalism and English majors, and I think they could get a kick out of it. Even if they’re not into zombies, they can talk to an author who has made it big.”

Espinosa echoed Carey’s sentiments.

“I have always been interested in zombies, but his books are so full of creativity and imagination that they really open up the reality of a zombie apocalypse,” he said.

Tickets for Brooks’ presentation are available for free at the Union box office and Brooks will be signing books afterward.