Earth Action Day expanding this year

Julie Jones, Joe DiSabatino, Matt Fields and Ginny Chancel help paint a mural of Bolin Creek. Courtesy of Wes Tilghman

With a bigger venue and more exhibits, Chapel Hill’s third annual Earth Action Day aims to draw a crowd double the size of last year’s.

The event, previously held in downtown Chapel Hill, will take place in the newly completed Southern Community Park near U.S. 15-501 from noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday.

“This year’s venue is a lot larger. We are hoping to get double the number of attendees, possibly several thousand,” said Wes Tilghman, festivals and special events supervisor for the Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department.

The event’s focus will be on the everyday actions residents can take to preserve the environment, said town Sustainability Officer John Richardson.

“We want people to think of sustainability every day, not just one day,” he said.

This year’s event will feature new components like a clothing swap and a fashion show that uses items like potato chip bags, puzzle pieces and aluminum. The Goat Patrol, a herd of goats used to keep grass short, will also attend.

Guests can learn to become more environmentally efficient through various presentations.

“Over the last three years I have seen a real progression with the Earth Action Day celebration,” Richardson said. “This year there are some real opportunities.”

Ways residents can “go green,” such as environmentally friendly transportation and battery-powered lawn mowers, will also be presented at the event, and rain barrels will be for sale.

“Anytime you introduce people a new way to be sustainable, they will use it,” said Town Council member Penny Rich.