Lamenting LDOC: Look, Duke, your school isn’t that great, and closing off ‘Last Day of Classes’ just worsens your reputation

Going to Duke University’s Last Day of Classes event is an activity that will be truly missed.

Our rival has decided not to allow outsiders into its infamous celebration this year. UNC students can’t help but feel hurt.

The scramble to beat the crowd was something that UNC students could look forward to every year. Crowding the Robertson Bus seemed almost like a rite of passage.

Arriving at Duke was always a letdown — its west campus is like a Hollywood set for an actual Ivy League school. But reaching the concert area and seeing the crowd significantly beautified by UNC students always renewed spirits. Duke’s liberal alcohol policy was also a plus.

It used to be such a fun experience. It really cast a (rare) positive light on Duke.

Now, it seems that Duke is trying its utmost not to let people realize that it can in fact be a nice place — at least for a few hours each year. Duke’s decision is a clear indication that it is a matter of policy to create a negative perception of itself.

To give the school credit, it really excels at this.

But it just doesn’t make sense to not allow students who are infinitely better at having fun to partake in the event. UNC students contribute nothing in the way of money to bring the artists. But they more than compensate with their looks and their energy.

One would think that Duke would have greater respect for people coming from out of town. After all, its students are part of the New Jersey diaspora.

The inescapable conclusion is that this boils down to jealousy. On the face, it looks like retaliation for the fact that our Halloween has become more “homegrown.”

Perhaps Duke will see the error in its ways. But there’s really no reason to be optimistic — so don’t hold your breath.

The event won’t be the same without UNC students there. You’ll miss us. Right?