Friday January 28th

Music Review: Cassis Orange

Cassis Orange
Buy Photos Cassis Orange

Many of the best new acts to step out on the local scene recently have started as one or two-man bands. The Love Language and Max are shining examples.

Autumn Ehinger’s Cassis Orange might soon join the list. The new EP she’s crafted under that name is promising, if not fully pleasing.

Weaving simplistic Postal Service-esque electro-pop around stark emotive lyrics that come off as impeccably insightful journal entries, Ehinger has a formula that works.

Music Review

Cassis Orange
Cassis Orange

Electro-pop
Dive verdict: 3 of 5 stars

Synths chime with reverb, and drums smash like the world beating down the door in the plea for sanity that is “Listen Heartbeat.” “If we don’t do it now, we know we never will/I never want to know how bad that would feel,” Ehinger sings with a fear that shocks you back to the moment that you first realized the world isn’t always your oyster.

Though she drop gems like this often over the EP’s brief four-song span, the construction doesn’t always maximize the impact. The melodies aren’t always memorable, and her wonderfully plaintive vocals are often buried in the lo-fi mix.

Still, though this album might not be the most memorable, it’s got more than enough bright spots to constitute a good start. Let’s just hope the next one does it better.

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021