N.C. Republican candidates diverge on war views

Aim to unseat Rep. David Price

Frank Roche and B.J. Lawson, Republican congressional candidates, took part in a debate Monday night. DTH/Gladys Manzur

With the May 4 primary election fast approaching, two Republicans vying for their party’s nomination brought the campaign for Congress to the University on Monday.

The two candidates, Frank Roche and B.J. Lawson, fielded questions from a moderator and crowd of about 50 students who attended the public forum in Gardner Hall.

After addressing their stances on the nation’s recent economic crisis and health care reform, the forum became heated when the candidates were asked about their opinions on the United States’ current involvement in the war on terrorism.

Lawson, the founder of the Durham-based software company Mercury MD, said he viewed the war as an empty marketing ploy that has not only cost the United States millions of dollars but also provoked radicalization and further hate.

“We must stop pushing the military past its breaking point,” he said. “We must focus on national defense instead of occupation and war.”

He also commented on the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, saying that an orderly and immediate withdrawal should take place.

Roche, who moved to the Triangle from New York in 2007 after a successful career in finance, had a drastically different view of the situation, beginning his speech by saying the war is necessary to prevent the threat of terrorism toward the United States.

“We must use the military quickly, aggressively and brutally,” he said. “If people want to hurt us, then we need to hurt them first.”

He also ridiculed Lawson’s position, saying it did not align with the traditional Republican viewpoint.

“Don’t worry about Lawson’s rhetoric; he’s on the Republican ticket,” he said.

Roche added that the U.S. must continue its presence in the Middle East before a full deployment.

The forum took on a more subdued tone with regard to resolving the nation’s economic hardships.

Roche, who said his financial career has provided him the expertise to properly address the economic crisis, said he wants to reduce taxes on small businesses and corporations.

He also called for a repeal and replacement of the health care legislation, saying it placed a strain on taxpayers.

Lawson said he shared Roche’s views on limiting the scope of the federal government.

“Washington can’t help us — it’s broke,” Lawson said. “We need to make our own wealth in our own community.”

Several members of the UNC College Republicans said they were impressed by the candidates’ respective speeches.

Freshman Molly Green said she enjoyed the presentation for its frankness.

“I’ve never been this closely involved in an election,” she said. “Both candidates answered questions directly and covered a broad array of important topics.”

Senior Duke Cheston said he sees this year’s election as having the potential to unseat U.S. Rep. David Price, a Democrat.

“This is our chance to beat Price,” he said.