Start off the summer with these new releases

Check out the local music festivals going on this summer around the state. Click to enlarge.

As you celebrate our hottest season of the year — and the subsequent end of all things academic — it’s only appropriate to revel with the perfect summer soundtrack. Enter Dive’s picks for the best upcoming releases, a mix of everything from honky-tonk Americana to mellifluous hip-hop.

April 20

Caribou, Swim (Merge)

Swim is an appropriate title for Caribou’s upcoming release. Dan Snaith’s electronic music inspires the effortless, floating feeling of being underwater. Whatever the reasoning behind the title, it should capture the liquid feeling of a backstroke in the middle of a hot day in July.

Free Electric State, Caress (Churchkey)

Noisy, raucous, and unapologetically rock ’n’ roll, Durham’s Free Electric State crafts an unexpected blend of ’80s synths and electric guitars. The group’s appeal stems largely from its innovation, merging pop sensibilities with the ear-blasting power of heavy rock. Caress should offer the same amalgamation, with some added polish.

May 4

The New Pornographers, Together (Matador)

It’s hard not to love The New Pornographers. Any band that can create such seamless, sunshiny pop is fine in Dive’s book, and the band’s upcoming full-length, Together, should hold to the same classic pop standard its predecessors set.

The Hold Steady, Heaven is Whenever (Vagrant)

Craig Finn has described Heaven Is Whenever as “less anthemic” than The Hold Steady’s past work, but the few tracks that have hit the Internet so far show no signs of such a proclamation. Even if the new record boasts the same youthful, energetic pop-rock of past Hold Steady work, it will be a welcome addition to our iTunes.

May 11

The National, High Violet (4ad)

Matt Berninger’s rumbling baritone makes an interesting — if unexpected — companion to The National’s stadium-ready pop-rock. Consider it the answer to Chris Martin’s vanilla Coldplay croons. The National’s High Violet is set to continue the group’s tradition of grandiose, anthemic pop.

Phosphorescent, Here’s to taking it easy (Dead Oceans)

Phosphorescent’s charming Americana has covered territory from Willie Nelson to introspective pop songs, but  Here’s to Taking It Easy should combine the group’s truck-stop swagger with an impressive array of horns, charming lyrics, and memorable choruses.

Woods, At Echo Lake (Woodsist)

Woods doesn’t shy away from its lo-fi roots, and we’re grateful for the band’s psychedelic DIY aesthetic. According to the world of blogs, Woods’ upcoming release should be a more lush take on the sound the group has already made its own.

May 18

LCD Soundsystem, This is Happening (Virgin)

You should own this album, if only because you’ll need something to add to that party playlist of yours. Like a jolt of electricity, James Murphy’s infectious beats will get feet moving and make drives out to Jordan Lake much cooler.

The Depreciation Guild, Spirit Youth (Kanine Records)

The Depreciation Guild is a nice anecdote to the dreamy summer pop that seems to infiltrate indie playlists in the hotter months. It seems this group has mastered the balance between distortion and pop, mixing droning feedback and thrashing guitars with singable choruses.

June 8

Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti, Before Today (4AD)

Critics tend to treat Ariel Pink’s lo-fi retro pop as the second coming, and while all the hype might be a little overwhelming, the abundance of hipster smoke points to some fiery music. If Before Today mirrors Pink’s most recent work, it should be a whimsical mix of Beach Boys approachability and idiosyncrasy a la Girls.

Wye Oak, My Neighbor/My Creator EP (Merge)

In the midst of Wye Oak’s hazy, distorted pop, there’s a central emotional core of heartache and vulnerability. Where the band’s last full-length, The Knot, balanced darkness and gothic, swirling instrumentals, the group’s upcoming release boasts new producers and added instrumentation.

The Roots, How I Got Over (Mercury)

One of the first bands to pioneer the fusion of jazz and hip-hop, The Roots have asserted their originality and innovation since day one. Surely the band’s upcoming full-length How I Got Over will fuse a similar mixture of clever wordplay, political subjects and infectious melodies.

TBA SUMMER 2010

Spider Bags, Take It Easy Tonite EP (Churchkey)

Rumbling, roiling guitars are an ever-present force on Spider Bags’ Goodbye Cruel World, Hello Crueler World, and the same should uphold on the Take it Easy EP. The Chapel Hill band’s impenitent and boisterous variety of rock ’n’ roll should make for perfect weekend listening as school grinds to a merciful halt.