Students may bridge insurance gap

Local doctor illuminates legislation

Dr. Stephen Gamboa is a clinical instructor in the Department of Family Medicine at UNC and was a key player in local lobbying efforts for the health care overhaul touted by President Barack Obama and signed into law in March.

Gamboa explained the details of that plan and how it can have an impact on the class of 2010.

Q: How is the health care overhaul going to help graduating seniors?

A: Recent college graduates will be able to stay on their parents’ insurance plans until they’re 26. Also, insurance companies will no longer be able to deny coverage to people based on pre-existing conditions.

On April 19, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius called on major insurance companies to extend coverage for young adults on their parents’ plans throughout the summer before the new legislation is implemented on Sept. 23. The following providers are among those that have agreed to extend coverage:

-Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
-Aetna
-Cigna
-Humana
-Kaiser Permanente
-United Healthcare
-Wellpoint

Students with other health insurance providers should check with their individual companies.

Q: The legislation allowing children to remain dependents until 26 doesn’t go into effect until the fall. Will graduating seniors be without insurance during the summer if they don’t have a job that has health care benefits?

A: Those students who want to continue to have coverage would have to buy a gap plan or a bridge plan — a temporary insurance policy that is typical for young people and will cover emergency situations, but not small things like checkups.

Q: How can they make sure that they stay on their parents’ insurance if they are unemployed?

A: Some parents probably have insurance with provisions for this. If seniors continue to be full-time students (for example, by enrolling in graduate school), then they are typically able to remain on their parents’ plans because they are still students.

Q: Is there a government plan for addressing that temporary gap in coverage?

A: I think the government’s goal was to pass the reform bill quickly. Six months is pretty quick for it to be phased in to such a large sector of the economy.

In the meantime, laws preceding the new legislation will remain in effect.

Q: Will graduating seniors who temporarily lose their parents’ insurance for the summer be able to get back on their parents’ plans when the legislation goes into effect? Will they pay the same rates and receive the same policy?

A: People will be able to return to their plan with the same rates and benefits. However, UNC insurance drops after you graduate.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.