UNC medical students add canines to their ranks

Hatfield, the dog, enjoys the attention of Helen Dascomb on Wednesday. DTH/Katie Barnes

Helen Dascomb is used to weekly visits from family and friends to her home at Wynwood assisted living home.

But when Hatfield, a furry Newfoundland and Chow mix, entered her room on Wednesday, her face lit up with excitement.

“You’re a sweetheart,” Dascomb said to the dog. “It’s so nice of you to come see me.”

Dascomb was the first of many who will receive visits from different dogs as part of the new Heeling Hounds program, intended to improve the well-being of patients in local assisted living homes through pet therapy.

The program was created this semester by second-year medical students Jenna Beckham, Olivia Linthavong and Rachel Little as part of requirements for an advanced leadership class. Each of the three students own at least one dog and plan to visit patients on a weekly basis.

One of the goals of Heeling Hounds is to establish relationships between the patients and the dogs, as well as between the patients and the student visitors.

Some dementia patients have difficulties communicating with humans. The dogs, however, can get the patients’ attention, which serves as a benefit.

Beckham previously participated in a dog therapy program at WakeMed Hospitals. She wanted to create a similar program, but with greater continuity and personal connections.

The communities participating in the program include Wynwood, Clare Bridge, Carolina Meadows, Carol Woods Retirement Community and Carolina House.

On Wednesday, each of the volunteers visited a facility with her dog and spent time with patients, including Jeanne Berg, a 93-year-old resident of Wynwood.

Berg, whose father was a dog breeder and grew up around animals, used to have a dalmatian named Domino but had to give it up when she had to go job hunting after the death of her husband.

Berg said she enjoyed being in the company of the dog, feeding Hatfield cheese before his departure and promising more for future visits.

Although Heeling Hounds was created by the medical students for their class, they hope other students will lead the project in the future.

“I hope the program will expand outside of medical school,” Beckham said.

Anyone can volunteer with the program, but they will need to have their pet screened by a veterinarian before they can participate.

Dascomb said she had been excited for the dog’s visit, and was thrilled by her experience with the program.

“I’ve been looking forward to the dog coming,” she said. “This is my big event of the day.”

She fed Hatfield three treats and promised more for next time. And before the dog left, she took his paws in her hands and said, “I love you.”