UNC renews ties with Singapore university

Joint-degree program to continue

HoldenThorp signs a renewal of the joint-degree program as Brenda Yeoh of the National University of Singapore. DTH/Ali Cengiz

A handshake and a signature continued a bond that reaches across the globe.

Officials from UNC and the National University of Singapore held a signing ceremony Tuesday to renew a joint-degree program between the two schools.

The program, which is available for students studying English, economics, history, political science and geography, began in 2007.

Since then, UNC has had one student graduate from the program, three or four set to graduate soon and five who will join the program next semester. NUS has had 13 students attend UNC through the program since its beginning three years ago.

“The program benefits both universities because it’s a global program and brings the best students to diversify each campus,” said Executive Associate Provost Ron Strauss.

“It gives students enormous new opportunities for studying because it allows students to see from many new vantage points.”

Walker Vincoli, a sophomore who will study political science, Mandarin and Indonesian in Singapore next semester, agreed that the opportunity to gain different viewpoints is what makes the joint-degree program unique.

“It will broaden my perspective on a lot of issues, and I can learn a lot about the area outside of solely an American perspective,” he said.

Through the program, students who graduate receive a degree from both universities.

It was the opportunity for two degrees that persuaded junior geography major David Crawford, also a Phillips Ambassador, to become the first UNC student to participate in the program.

The cost of the program also was attractive to Crawford. Students in the program pay the same as they would at UNC, with the exception of travel costs.

“For the same money, I could study abroad and receive two degrees,” he said.

Participation in the program helps students after they graduate as well, administrators said.

“The program makes students more marketable when they are finished and get recognition from both universities,” said Roberta Kelly, associate University registrar.

“It enhances career opportunities when you are able to relate to other cultures.”