Walk this way: SafeWalk program should expand to locations off campus to better address student needs

SafeWalk needs to be expanded to off-campus locations.

This expansion should be underwritten by the University as part of fulfilling its commitment to student safety.

At last week’s SafeWalk Advisory Board Meeting, student leaders presented statistics that point to a great start for the program and discussed scenarios for expansion of its coverage area.

Since January, SafeWalk has averaged between 12 and 13 walks a night to locations across campus. Post-walk surveys indicate a high satisfaction rate.

But for many students, walking to the edge of campus is just not far enough. The next logical step is for the program to accompany students to off-campus housing.

Additionally, allowing SafeWalkers access to the town can allow them to provide some help to intoxicated students. SafeWalkers could at least help them to a P2P stop or stay with them until other transportation arrived.

All signs point to SafeWalk becoming a permanent fixture on campus. If it does, it will need a permanent source of funding. Right now, almost half of the program’s funding comes from the Student Library Advisory Board and the Parents Fund.

But rather than a future fee to fill the funding gap, permanency should come with an increased involvement from the University.

Students’ safety is a vital part of creating an environment conducive to learning. It is in the University’s interest to promote it. Students should not have to shovel out extra money to achieve that.

SafeWalk has gotten off to a great start. Student government has taken an entrepreneurial approach to making a real difference in the quality of campus safety.

Assuming the program continues to be successful after it is expanded off campus, the University should begin discussing how to incorporate it as part of its own efforts to promote safety.