2ndFriday to host 101st lineup

ArtWalk shows over 75 talents

Visit the 2ndFriday ArtWalk's website.

On Friday, music, art and people will fill the streets and businesses of Chapel Hill and Carrboro for the 101st time in the 2ndFriday ArtWalk.

Every month, participating venues — including art galleries, coffee shops and retail businesses — display a featured artist’s work.

They open their doors between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. to art and music lovers and any passersby. Admission to the event is free.

“People can start whenever they want and go wherever they want,” said ArtWalk board member Jackie Helvey, owner of UniqueOrn Enterprises. “No rules.”

There are 11 venues in the event featuring more than 75 local talents. Here is just a taste of what 2ndFriday ArtWalk has to offer this month.

Fleet Feet

Venues usually feature a different artist each month, but this month Fleet Feet’s display will seem vaguely familiar.

Fleet Feet in Carrboro will feature David Sovero, who also showed there in April.

“Last month, the owner of the gallery said that they had such a good response, they asked me to stay for another,” said Sovero, who is originally from Peru but now lives and works in Hillsborough.

Friday, Sovero will add a musical twist to his exhibit, performing on the zampoña, an Andean panpipe made from bamboo. Like his music, much of his artwork alludes to his Peruvian background.

Fleet Feet’s gallery will also display works by Sovero’s students. He teaches an introduction to oil painting class at the Hillsborough and Chapel Hill senior centers.

“They start painting and never think about a show, saying, ‘My work is not good enough,’” Sovero said of his students. “But I tell them they do good work.”

The ArtsCenter

Geneva Sophia brings a sense of deja vu to Friday’s event.

Her photo series titled “Temporary Locality of Existence” will be displayed in the East End Gallery of The ArtsCenter in Carrboro.

Sophia suffered from amnesia and short-term memory loss after she was brutally attacked at 18. Her mother gave her a camera to help her form new memories, which have become her artwork.

Sophia’s photographs reflect her more intimate, unedited memories showing “the transitory nature of things called ‘home’,” according to the gallery’s Web site.

Her work will also be displayed Friday among the Carrboro Community Art Project, which includes submissions from more than 50 local artists. The works will be spread between the Carrboro Century Center and Carrboro Town Hall.

Carrboro Century Center

The Carrboro Century Center also boasts a musical performance, theirs by “a marching band unlike any you’ve ever seen.”

The Scene of the Crime Rovers, of Durham, is made up of more than 20 members who play their instruments in a collective musical improvisation.

The group’s mission is to choose music that welcomes all levels of experience and to take creative music to the community at no cost.

2ndFriday ArtWalk was created in 2001 to promote local artists and galleries to the community and the nation.

Currently in its 10th year of operation, the event has attracted more than 100,000 people to the Chapel Hill and Carrboro areas.

Contact the Arts Editor at dth.arts@gmail.com.