Dirty mouth? Clean it up: Orange County dental clinics should merge

In light of increasing expenses and decreasing revenues, the Orange County Board of Commissioners is cutting costs.

Despite the concerns of Orange County residents, the county’s two dental clinics should be consolidated to help with the budget.

As early as June, the board could decide to move all dental services to the Hillsborough dental clinic when the Carrboro clinic’s lease ends in 2011. The plan is projected to cut costs by at least $62,000 a year.

The decision would not impact the jobs or services the dental clinics provide.

Both clinics are open half of the week, so the staff alternates its time and services at each anyway. If the clinics merge, the Hillsborough clinic will then be open for the whole week with the entire staff.

All medical files will be kept in the same location as a result of the partnership.

But if the two clinics are consolidated, the Hillsborough clinic will need to be renovated.

County officials have admitted the Hillsborough clinic is not in good physical shape. Despite budget cuts, this should not be ignored.

If the county cannot afford to renovate the Hillsborough clinic, it would be unjustifiable to expect the clinic to serve more people in mediocre conditions.

Transportation to and from the clinic is a concern as well. Buses from Chapel Hill to Hillsborough reportedly drop residents off too far from the clinic.

Not only is this unsafe, but it makes it difficult for citizens to get the medical attention they need.

The elimination of the Carrboro clinic is a necessary step. It will reduce costs and combine all services, staff and files into one location.

However if the board decides to merge the clinics, they need to focus on the hardships the plan will create and make the clinic a priority. Transportation needs and renovation will have to be addressed.

A reduction in quantity does not mean there should be a reduction in quality.