Heel insurance: Students should research health insurance plans

This fall students will be required by UNC to acquire health care insurance.

Students need to do their homework to decide whether they want health insurance provided by the University.

The students not covered by an individual or family health insurance plan by Sept. 24 will automatically be billed by the University for a new systemwide plan.

Although coverage protects you from high hospital costs and premiums, the issue is the freedom to choose. While everyone should want to have health care, not everyone wants to pay for it.

Students have the option to choose an independent insurance provider before September.

Pearce & Pearce is the new systemwide policy provider. Students will pay $723 per year for services. The health plan does not include dental coverage, which would cost an additional $303.28 per year.

UNC chose the private family business because the company put in the lowest bid for coverage.

Pearce & Pearce will be the only provider offered by the University for the next two years. The lack of other insurance providers might mean less incentive to do a top-notch job. Competition provides incentive to meet the needs of customers.

In previous years, UNC offered students the choice of several plans or no coverage.

Although it could be easier for UNC to deal with one provider, it might not be in the best interest of students.

Students with the University plan will have 100 percent coverage of services during visits to Campus Health Services.

UNC administrators have said they want to protect students from going into debt from medical bills. Many students new to managing their own finances could probably use the help.

But students should also get into the practice of looking at all options before deciding on the UNC designated plan.