Momentum key for Tar Heels against Virginia

Catcher Jacob Stallings had a strong weekend  in a three-game sweep of Wake Forest. dth File Photo
Catcher Jacob Stallings had a strong weekend in a three-game sweep of Wake Forest. dth File Photo

For the first time since 2001, the men’s baseball team could end their season with a losing record against ACC opponents.

Opportunities for the No. 28 Tar Heels to improve their 11-13 conference record are diminishing, but with the momentum of a seven-game win streak, they still have hope.

When the Tar Heels play No. 1 ACC ranked Virginia in a three-game series this weekend, they will no doubt be the underdogs.

Ranked third in the nation, the Cavaliers’ losses this season have been few and far between, with their last loss occurring more than three weeks ago against Virginia Tech.

If UNC can build on its momentum and defeat UVa., they stand a chance of securing home-field advantage in the upcoming NCAA Regionals.

“We seem to be playing with confidence lately and are playing well,” said coach Mike Fox in an interview with tarheelblue.com. “There is a sense of calmness in our dugout and I like that about our team.”

The Tar Heels enter the series hot off of a three-game sweep of Wake Forest this past weekend. With the win on Sunday, it was the first conference series sweep for the team all year.

UNC started out the series strong Friday night with an 18-5 win over the Demon Deacons at Boshamer Stadium.

Dillon Hazlett led the Tar Heels with three hits, two runs and six RBI. Levi Michael followed with three hits, including a home run, and scored four runs for a new career high.

Pitcher Matt Harvey secured the win with five strikeouts and by allowing only three runs on eight hits.

On Saturday, the Tar Heels continued to play strong in a 7-2 victory.

Relief pitcher Colin Bates allowed just two hits in as many innings, and earned himself his fifth win of the year.

Jacob Stallings and Brian Goodwin each added two RBI, and Goodwin hit his sixth triple of the season, bringing him just two short of the single season school record.

Stallings led the team to an 8-4 victory on Sunday afternoon with three hits and a grand slam. On the defensive end, pitcher Patrick Johnson allowed two runs on six hits over the course of seven innings.

Before the Tar Heels take on Virginia, they are scheduled to play College of Charleston on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Boshamer Stadium.

Due to deadlines, however, The Daily Tar Heel was unable to provide print coverage of this event.