Orange County Commissioners review County Capital Projects

Funding for county projects created confusion for the Orange County Board of Commissioners on Tuesday night. After an hour of deliberation, they only postponed voting.

The commissioners couldn’t agree on what to do about incomplete projects in the County Capital Projects Fund.

“I think we need to know what these projects are before we move any further,” Commissioner Alice Gordon said.

There are 26 County Capital Projects that are still considered active although they are nearly completed or have never had activity. Closing the projects would create an additional $245,560 for other capital priorities.

Twelve other projects with little activity or available funds would create an additional $737,868 for capital priorities if closed.

“I want to know what the first 10 or 12 projects are before deciding on cutting,” Commissioner Mike Nelson said. “I am not comfortable with what some of these things are.”

Commissioner Pam Hemminger moved to have the unresolved projects put aside until the board can decide if the individual projects need to be cut. The vote carried 6-1.

The board also discussed their move to the Link Center, construction on which is set for September.

County Construction Manager Jeff Thompson showed the board the current floor plan in its Link Center, the new home for the board’s meeting room.

The board approved a contract with Corley, Redfoot, Zack Architects to build the center and improve upon the center’s technology, heating and cooling system and meet Americans with Disabilities Act standards. 

Commissioners Valerie Foushee and Steve Yuhasz visited six board room sites to gain an idea of how the new meeting room could look.

The current proposed floor plan raised some criticisms amongst the commissioners.

Hemminger was concerned about the audience seating.  The proposed seating has 14 seats in each row with no middle isle, meaning the audience there would be 110 seats with no isle.

“We have a lot of people come in and go when they are here for one agenda meeting item,” Hemminger said. “I see that being a major disturbance.”

County Manger Frank Clifton said a middle aisle would cause a loss of 25 to 30 seats.

Commissioner Barry Jacobs liked the proposed color of the board’s wood panels, because it contrasted his typical meeting room.

“These rooms are designed as boring as possible,” he said.

Nelson agreed on implementing the change.

“Don’t be afraid of color,” he said.