Room for improvement: Chapel Hill safety makes strides but still has gaps

Security lapses in Chapel Hill’s safety standards leave much to be desired.

Police need to understand that summer simultaneously equals fewer students, all of whom have more reason to be outside.

Students actively run on campus for exercise and enjoyment. They would not do so if they didn’t think it was safe.

So when a jogger is nearly abducted — in broad daylight — in downtown Chapel Hill, there is cause for concern. Residents deserve a greater police presence to discourage potential attackers.

At least crossing the street just became safer: pavement islands now line Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Raleigh Road and the town of Carrboro. The brick platforms parallel bus stops where riders cross busy streets to catch the bus.

The platforms were built in a timely manner and guarantee the added safety of the large number of people utilizing Chapel Hill’s free transit.

The free transit operates on a reduced-service schedule between May 8 and August 10. It is essentially the same as the full service schedule — except its dismissal of the Safe Ride lines.

The Safe Ride T, G and J routes service popular off-campus housing until 2:30 a.m.

Students that drink before and after heading to Franklin Street depend on the Safe Ride routes. These routes are a brilliant and necessary endeavor that prevents students from drinking and driving.

Eliminating these services during the summer sessions limits — and to an extent encourages — students who must find alternative methods to reach their party destinations.

Responsible drinkers will call a cab. Those not thinking clearly might attempt something more dangerous.

Students should know it is their own responsibility to drink responsibly. But Chapel Hill has an obligation.

Students deserve a safe college town during the summer months, not just the school year.