Routing safety: Bus rider safety should not be ignored

Resident safety should not be forgotten in the planning of bus route changes — especially in the aftermath of an abduction attempt.

The Chapel Hill Transit Department is recommending the elimination and reduction of some bus services for the fall of 2010.

The changes could save the town $568,000 if implemented as a part of the budget on June 7. Rider safety should be a factor when making these decisions.

As a part of the proposal the M route and Shared Ride Feeder services will be eliminated.

The M route is the only bus that goes directly to the Chapel Hill library on weekdays. The route carries an average of four people a day, and the stop for the next-closest route to the library is a five-minute walk away.

The NU route’s 7:25 a.m. and 8:05 a.m. trips may also be eliminated.

The NU is the only bus that goes to the PR lot. With limited rides available, students may try to walk or catch a ride to class.

The department and Town Council often monitor ridership.

If the limited bus scheduling is a problem, they will make it a priority to correct it. But the major safety concern comes from the removal of the Shared Ride Feeder services.

These services transport residents to the closest bus stop if they live more than a quarter of a mile away.

The Shared Ride Feeder services it used by 50 people on a regular basis. While it costs the town $17.50 per passenger, it makes Chapel Hill safer.

With the elimination of these services, residents may have to walk in unsafe areas or cross busy streets to reach a bus stop.

Bus routes should be redirected to specific areas, such as Morgan Creek, where people often require the services.

Even though the bus route changes should be adopted, resident safety should not be ignored.