Unsustainable coal: Phasing out coal energy is a step in right direction

UNC is one step closer to becoming carbon-neutral by 2050.

The University’s decision to phase out the use of coal in exchange for a more sustainable energy solution comes at no better time.

At the point of constant expansion, the University can no longer tolerate the use of coal to heat and power campus. The successful growth of UNC requires innovative and efficient energy use.

In the fall of 2009, the Sierra Club initiated the Campuses Beyond Coal Campaign and the Sierra Student Coalition to end coal use at the 60 campuses across the nation with on-site coal plants.

The campaign encouraged students to get involved in decreasing their university’s coal dependency.

Although the movement away from coal can be costly, Chancellor Holden Thorp made the right decision when he appointed a task force of students, faculty and Sierra Club members to point the University toward energy efficiency.

The cogeneration plant on West Cameron Avenue accounts for 60 percent or more of UNC’s greenhouse gas emissions every year. Biomass produces only 8 percent of the greenhouse gases of coal, making it a much superior energy source.

Building another plant to burn a different fuel does not make sense; using the current boilers to burn biomass does.

Last week the task force made great strides for the “green” movement when they issued their interim recommendations. They suggested that the University should end coal use no later than 2020 and phase out coal mined with mountaintop removal as quickly as possible.

This elimination of coal from the cogeneration plant will decrease energy inefficiency and increase productivity.

UNC still needs to figure out how to make the change effective over the next 10 years, but the effort will be well worth it.

The University is a leader in sustainable technology, and because of this change, their legacy will continue.