Don't postpone rezone: Town Council should consider rezoning development

The Chapel Hill Town Council needs to advocate rezoning for the development of Aydan Court.

The 5.8-acre lot is currently zoned for single-family homes, and is located along N.C. 54 and Jordan Lake.

The local developer, Zinn Design Build, originally planned a 17-lot luxury subdivision, but would prefer to build 96 mid-range priced condos.

This change would require rezoning before Zinn can move forward with the project.

The Town Council should rezone the area as a multi-family development because it would be more beneficial to the environment and community.

The largest difference between single- and multi-family homes is the impact they would have on the environment.

Jordan Lake supplies water for three counties and is only a stone’s throw away from the development.

Single-family homes would be built and maintained individually, allowing for potential overuse of the land and negligent care of the property.

With multi-family homes, one homeowner’s association would manage the property as a whole, which could cut back on erosion, runoff and damaging fertilizers.

Another advantage is that the condos would create diversity by filling a mid-range housing price gap that is missing in the current market, Zinn said.

As of now, the development is in the concept planning stage, which is a review process with the council.

Fortunately, the council seems to understand the advantages of multi-family homes. Its concern is to protect the environment and build value in the community.

But rezoning must occur in order for Zinn to proceed.

It is a difficult and lengthy process whereby the council would further scrutinize the developer to meet more stringent land-use requirements.

The change would be positive because it may require more sidewalks be added or that roads be widened.

These improvements would be at the cost of the developer, and for the benefit of the community.