A proposal presented to the UNC Board of Trustees would establish an executive director, alumni association and an improved judicial process for members of the Interfraternity Council.

Greeks were spotlighted in the fall of 2009 after Delta Kappa Epsilon President Courtland Smith was shot to death by police and three members of the Chi Omega sorority were arrested on cocaine charges.

Jordan Whichard, a UNC alumnus and former president of Phi Gamma Delta, was asked by the University in January to conduct a review of its Greek system.

Whichard’s proposal has three main goals: to restructure the self-governance process while enhancing alumni participation; to “promote and support responsible management of IFC activities”; and to promote academic success and community involvement.

The Greek system includes four councils: the IFC, the National Panhellenic Council, the Panhellenic Council and the Greek Alliance Council. But in his report, Whichard focused only on the IFC.

“If in fact this process is seen to be yielding positive results, you will see other areas where there are weaknesses across the other councils, and they’ll have incentive to improve,” Whichard said.

Other council leaders agree.

“It can only benefit us if the IFC system becomes stronger,” said Rhea Keller, president of the Panhellenic Council, which governs 10 sororities with houses.

To improve the IFC, Whichard proposed the creation of a Fraternity Alumni Association that would increase alumni oversight in fraternity affairs. IFC fraternity presidents believe this would be beneficial — and all 24 support change within the system.

“I think participation with alumni is definitely very useful,” said William Decosimo, president of the IFC fraternity Chi Psi.

“My fraternity is lucky to have involved alumni, I don’t know how you’d have a good fraternity without that kind of involvement.”

A full-time IFC executive director would work with IFC members, alumni, parents and the UNC Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. The job description and funding for this position is to be determined by a committee of alumni and current IFC members, according to Whichard.

This position, in addition to guiding alumni oversight, would help fraternities to be more responsibly managed through providing educational opportunities and resources about commonly faced hazards such as alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct, according to Whichard’s report. The position would work closely with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

“My understanding is that they hope to fund and hire a full-time person who has a background and knowledge of both fraternities and can be a motivator and mentor for young men who are engaged in this process,” Whichard said.

Jenny Levering, assistant dean of fraternity and sorority life, deferred all comments to Winston Crisp, vice chancellor for student affairs, who could not be reached for comment.

The current IFC self-governance process would also be restructured. With Whichard’s recommendations they would add alumni participation.

“I strongly believe the changes being proposed will not only work, but will continue to bring success and a positive image for fraternities at UNC,” said Wright Lewallen, IFC vice president of recruitment.

“What is happening is good change that has been needed for quite some time.”