Keep campaign clean: Senate candidates need to focus on the issues

Congratulations are owed to Secretary of State Elaine Marshall for winning the Democratic U.S. Senate nomination for North Carolina.

Marshall beat former N.C. Sen. Cal Cunningham in Tuesday’s runoff election. She will challenge incumbent first-term Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., in the fall.

A substantive, issues-based campaign is necessary to best serve North Carolinians in the coming years.

Both Marshall and Burr have an obligation to their residents to run a clean and focused campaign.

The candidates must be able to persuade us with their ability to lead, not their ability to badmouth their opponent.

It is essential for Burr and Marshall to be direct when they voice their opinions on the issues residents care about most.

Both must take strong positions on the war in Afghanistan, oil drilling, health reform, jobs and the economy.

The recent Democratic runoff election focused on picking the best Democrat to take on Burr.

Burr has represented the state since he beat former White House Chief of Staff and UNC-system President Erskine Bowles in 2004.

Although some residents found Burr’s term to be less than satisfactory — he has a 35 percent approval rating — Marshall will need to have a dedicated campaign team to unite the Democratic party if she expects to unseat an incumbent.

Voters need to consider every stance of the candidates before they make their decision on their future senator.

Burr is still in support of offshore drilling despite the Gulf spill, while Marshall is opposed.

Marshall is against the nine-year war in Afghanistan, but Burr supported the 35,000-troop increase last fall.

Both candidates have addressed the dragging economy, although neither have taken a drastic stand.

But North Carolinians should at least consider electing a new senator with fresh ideas on old problems.