Residential development plan gets mixed reviews

Leon Schaller has been living in Chapel Hill for 10 years. He never considered moving until recently, and he’s not the only one.

Schaller, a retiree, is among many residents of Homestead Village who disagree with the proposal of additional student housing near the neighborhood.

The 33 acres of land in question are beside Carolina North. Capstone Companies, a firm that focuses on student developments, wants to build housing units there in addition to residence halls.

The area would be called The Cottages of Chapel Hill, with 330 dwelling units and about 1,200 parking spaces.

“We expect it to be a lot of noise and partying, and it will be disturbing to the quiet neighborhood that we live in,” Schaller said.

John Acken, senior vice-president of Capstone Companies, was not surprised by residents’ reactions to the proposal.

“We knew that people cared very deeply about Chapel Hill,” Acken said. “What we are trying to do now is work with the town and the residents.”

Capstone is a company with residential communities nationwide, including the University of San Diego and Western Carolina University.

Tim Chapman, associate director for facilities for housing at Western Carolina University, declined to comment on the relationship between the Capstone Development and the university.

Acken said Capstone chose the land near Carolina North because Chapel Hill is growing in that direction. The apartments would have access to Chapel Hill Transit. Capstone has been looking to develop this land for about a year.

Capstone employee Scott Radway presented the proposal to the Chapel Hill Town Council on May 17.

Members of the Homestead Village Homeowners Association were present to voice their concerns.

“The intent of the meeting was to put the idea on the table to get a better understanding of the vision of the community,” Acken said. “We hope there will be more feedback so we can put together a plan the neighbors feel comfortable with.”

Kahtherine Young came to Chapel Hill five years ago. The thought of more development is what worries Young, not the students.

“I am worried about the traffic and the density,” Young said. “What’s going to happen to the character of the neighborhood?”

Young can see the undeveloped land from her back porch sitting near the railroad tracks. She wants the council to modify the proposal.

“I wish they would kill it or limit it substantially,” Young said. “I think we have had enough development here for now.”

A total cost for the project is not yet decided.

Acken said Capstone will continue to have discussions with the town about the proposal in the future.

“We want to have a creative community for college students that meets the goals of the town and is economically viable for Capstone,” Acken said. “I am very confident we can achieve that.”