Stadium to add seats, alcohol

Renovations to Kenan approved

Renovations to Kenan Stadium are expected to be completed in time for the 2011 football season.

You’ll be able to celebrate Kenan Stadium renovations with a glass of wine, a cold beer or both, UNC athletic officials said.

The Board of Trustees approved on May 26 a proposal to renovate the stadium, where beer and wine will be served in the soon-to-be-built premium seating.

The $70 million proposal — which will add more than 2,000 new spectator seats and 20 private suites to the stadium — has for several years been a major topic of discussion between the trustees and the UNC Department of Athletics.

“This is my first year on the board, but I know that the topic has been in discussion long before I was on the board,” Trustee Donald Curtis said.

Board members said that the stadium renovations are motivated by trying to get UNC’s athletic program on the same level as other universities.

“We are well behind our peers in reference to our facilities,” Curtis said. “And these renovations will allow us to have the facilities to allow our athletes to perform.”

There will be several additions to the stadium including an Olympic-style conditioning room and a new student services building.

“The key piece is the academic support service building being added,” said board Chairman Bob Winston.

The academic support center plans to provide student services to athletes from both revenue and nonrevenue sports, and was crucial to getting renovations approved, Winston said.

UNC students and fans questioned how high-priced renovations are able to be made in an economic recession.

Rams Club Executive Director John Montgomery and the trustees have a proposed budget for current spending and a plan to pay off future debt.

“Half of the funding comes from private sponsors and the other half will be paid from our new seat sales,” Montgomery said.

New luxury seats and suites have already become open for the public to purchase. Montgomery said more than half of the luxury suites have already been sold.

The new seats will add 2,980 people to the stadium’s capacity, bumping its total up to more than 62,000 people.

Members of the athletic department believe the renovations will improve UNC athletics.

“It will positively impact all 28 UNC sports and all 800 UNC athletes,” said Dick Baddour, UNC athletic director, referencing the academic support center and increased revenue.

Board members feel the same way about the renovations.

“(The plan) looks beautiful,” Curtis said. “These facilities will allow us to be more competitive, and I think the engineers of the renovations did a great job with the planning.”

Trustees said the construction will begin soon on the stadium, with plans to be done in time for the start of the 2011 football season.

“It’s going to be tremendous …

for not only football, but for all other UNC sports as well,” Winston said.