Unite for the cause: Greek system renovations still need improvement

A plan to increase alumni interaction with fraternities on campus was proposed to the Board of Trustees last week.

While the University is taking a step toward improving the structure of the Interfraternity Council, it is questionable whether this move will be effective.

There are 24 fraternities at the University, and each is supposed to operate under the guidelines of a national office.

Fraternities have specific standards to uphold, and the staff at the national organization office are there to ensure that these are carried out properly.

UNC’s attempt to make fraternities more accountable by using alumni is admirable, but the recommendations proposed may not be the best way to make efficient improvements.

The recommendations involve establishing an IFC executive director, rearranging the IFC judicial process and creating a fraternity alumni association within IFC.

Goals of the proposal include bringing fraternities together and improving the grades and University involvement of fraternity members.

In order to unite the University and the IFC, a continual increase in communication is necessary.

Added alumni oversight may change community involvement, academic performance and the self-governing process, but it won’t necessarily change the parties.

If the University wants to change the atmosphere and image of fraternities, it’s going to have to take a harder approach.

Creating another association within the council that already allowed University administrators to ask for a review doesn’t sound like it will effect behavior. The University is well within their right to hold members of the IFC responsible.

While the proposal has good ideas, more steps need to be taken if the University really wants to make significant changes within the Greek system and the IFC.