Bastille inspires party at Toots

Sugarland, Top o’ offer cake, beer

Just 10 days after celebrating its own nation’s Independence Day, Toots & Magoo boutique and gallery will host a celebration of the Independence Day of its owners’ home away from home — France.

“The idea is to bring a little bit of Parisian flare to Franklin Street,” said Jennifer Ashdown, publicist for the event.

July 14 marks the 221st commemoration of the storming of the Bastille prison, a pivotal moment at the beginning of the French Revolution.

“It was the beginning of the end,” said Nicolas Raguin, of Lyon, France, who has lived in Chapel Hill for the past year and plans to attend the event.

“Bastille was a symbol of the monarchy. And by taking it over, it was like the beginning of the end for the royalty and for the King.”

Raguin described Bastille Day — called the 14th of July, or “le quatorze juillet” in French — as the equivalent of the U.S. Fourth of July complete with fireworks and parades honoring the military.

Inspired by Marie Antoinette’s famous line, “Let them eat cake,” Toots & Magoo has enlisted the help of Sugarland bakery next door.

Top of the Hill will provide the alcohol for Monaco and Demi Peche — beer cocktails popular in Paris.

“We’re just tying into that French inspiration and that love of French culture,” Ashdown said.

A 14 percent discount is available on items picked up by Cheryle “Toots” Jernigan-Wicker on her most recent trip to France. Its neighboring gallery will also feature a French graphic art display.

Ashdown, a self-proclaimed Francophile, described the store as a Parisian marketplace.

“I love that I can have that little mini-experience in Chapel Hill, even if I can’t make it to Paris,” she said.

Raguin is excited to get a taste of home at the event.

“For a French guy, Bastille Day always means something. We’re always going to celebrate it, no matter where we are in the world,” he said.

The event will run 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the boutique and gallery.

Contact the Arts Editor ?at arts.dth@gmail.com.