Libraries marks dawn of the summer of Love

Re?ned production focuses album

Courtesy of Merge Records

Courtesy of Merge Records

The Love Language’s follow-up to its self-titled debut was not recorded in a storage space, dining room or basement. Bid adieu to the lo-fi crackle of the band’s first release — in its wake, The Love Language shines.

The most obvious and arresting contrast between the first record and the group’s new release under Merge Records is the smooth, airy texture that characterizes the recordings. Where its debut rattled through cacophonous, urgent pop songs, Libraries is dreamy and glossy, the sonic equivalent of a hazy ’70s film.

It boasts David Cassidy romanticism and David Bowie ingenuity, and the shift in sound puts Stu McLamb’s intricate songwriting at the forefront. There are no distractions here — where the band’s past work brimmed with clamor and commotion, its sophomore effort is an exercise in masterful restraint.

And while this might disorient listeners expecting a second helping of lo-fi tambourine pop, the shiny new sound isn’t a total about-face.

BJ Burton, the album’s producer and a Love Language member, balances the building melodies and tortured vocals with a tightrope walker’s precision. McLamb’s pristine vocals ­— once coated in grainy distortion — transmit with nuance and efficacy amid the drums and keyboards.

The evolution from the band’s debut to its new release reveals The Love Language’s propensity for trend-defying songwriting. A great pop song is a great pop song, whether it’s polished to perfection or muddled in distortion, and Libraries is The Love Language’s declaration of this credo.

But despite a markedly studio sound, certain songs still achieve the feeling of being blasted from an FM radio at a ’60s beach bash. “Brittany’s Back” drives forward on a forceful beat, propelled by jangling guitars and searing vocals. McLamb’s heartthrob voice is at its peak here, wailing and crooning at varying volumes.

He wields his vocals deftly, navigating between softness and the abrasive caterwaul that peppered the group’s debut. Unlike the general production of the record, McLamb’s vocals roam untamed, and it’s a nice contrast to the luster that coats each track.

While there’s theoretically enough retro-pop sunshine to render Libraries stylized, the group sticks to concise songs that keep the album from veering into novelty.

“Heart to Tell,” the first single, shimmies through 2 minutes and 27 seconds of all-too-brief bliss, blending cheeky lyrics with bright harmonies that emblazon themselves in the listener’s ears.

It’s the ultimate earworm — compulsively singable, catchy yet still substantial. Where Top-40 hooks grow stale after a few listens, “Heart to Tell” and the rest of the tracks on the album bloom slowly. Each listen reveals a new layer, whether it’s a striking chord progression or a witty lyric.

Libraries is a major departure from The Love Language’s first album, but ultimately, it’s a welcome one. Where DIY charm subsides, Burton’s refined production underscores a band with much more to offer than rattly, heartbroken hooks.

True pop artists know the universality of a dexterous, multi-faceted song, and if Libraries is any indication, The Love Language is well versed in such a craft.

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.