The call of the wild: Nonpro?t organization advocates wildlife education

North Carolina hunters will sport bright orange as they venture into the woods to hunt deer.

To save life and limb, it pays to be educated on how to both reduce the chances of hazardous encounters and preserve the wildlife in our area.

Local nonprofit organization CLAWS is striking a balance between hunters and wildlife preservation.

The sport of deer hunting is one of the oldest and most respected Southern traditions.

Rising deer populations in many states have bolstered the sport, encouraging the time-honored “thrill of the kill” mentality.

However, wildlife experts believe that human activities like these are responsible for many of the risks to the human population.

CLAWS works to educate the public on such risks while rescuing wild animals endangered throughout the county.

The organization is involved with rehabilitating several species of wildlife, including 47 deer at their Orange County facility.

CLAWS founder Kindra Mammone shares her strong mission to educate and protect animals with a balanced support of the hunting community.

Mammone justly believes that hunters hold not only the responsibility to know the nature of the animals they hunt, but the awareness to stay away from urban areas when hunting.

The idea of an educated hunting population celebrates both the animal itself and the very idea of hunting season.

CLAWS offers a reasonable solution for people to follow.

Everyone, regardless of their stance on hunting, can and should take advantage of the opportunity CLAWS is offering all of Orange County with their rehabilitation program and their workshops.

On July 17, CLAWS will bring birds of prey to A Southern Season at University Mall to engage and educate the public about local wildlife.

Just as Mammone and her husband, Vincent, grew their shared passion into this flourishing organization, residents of all ages can help build a community in tune with its wild neighbors.